I have been with the kids all day. The house is a mess. I'm behind on my blog. I can't even find the bottom of my inbox. And now it's time to to game. Time to hurry up and make dinner and get everyone into bed on time, because people are heading over.
I stress about getting everyone fed and off to bed in a timely fashion. And I don't even feel like playing a game. I don't want to see other people. I don't want to think board game strategy or pretend I'm a dwarf. I either want to go to sleep, or I want to sit quietly on the computer and write one of the twenty-some blog posts I'm behind on.
But folks are coming over and they expect me to game. Hubby is looking forward to this evening and he expects me to game. I feel obliged to drag my butt into the basement and pretend I'm a social human being.
And then, once I'm down there; once I'm sitting at the table, coffee in hand, dice arrayed before me.... Man this is fun, this is just what I needed! I forget about all the stuff I know I "should" be doing, and focus on the game. A little escapism is great. Board game, roleplaying game, any old game. It's great to relax, laugh, play and chat with other adults. I can't believe I was thinking of bailing out on this. Gee, I can't wait for next week, I can't wait to play again...
Except by the time next week rolls around I'm down in the grind again, and I need to be forcibly dragged off to game time. Sometimes I only play a board game because Hubby wants to and I don't want to disappoint him. Sometimes I only roleplay because the night would be cancelled for everyone else if my character didn't show. Sometimes I only go out to the night long board gaming event because hubby needs someone to help teach games, or because I have a sitter lined up and it would be a shame to cancel. The end result is almost always the same, nine times out of ten once it gets down to game time I have a blast, and couldn't imagine wanting to be anywhere else.
Is anyone else in the same boat as me? Do you need to be dragged kicking and screaming off to a good time playing games?

Yes, sometimes I do not want to play games, but hey, when the family wants to, I will follow.
ReplyDeleteFamily game time rocks. I try to always play along, even when I'm tired and grumpy.
DeleteYeah me too, but once interacting and have family time, it is a special moment. I remember playing snakes and ladders with my young children many times when I did not want to but they loved it.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm also guilty of dragging my feet when it's time to play games with the kids. Hi Ho Cherry-O and Froggy Boogie are not always at the top of the list of things I feel like doing.
DeleteI definitely used to have the feeling when I used to know a lot more gamers. I'd add to your list, Sometimes I only game because I know others are gaming and I don't want to fall behind in experience points!! So true, that once you get started, it's almost immediately enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteYes! That should totally be on my list Victoria!
DeleteYes, I've ended up gaming even when all I want is time to myself because I know there aren't enough people without me and hubs would have to cancel otherwise. It takes me a while to get into the game, but I do usually end up having fun.
ReplyDeleteIt's like anything else in life - you've got to decide what's important and make time for it.
ReplyDelete