Saturday 19 December 2015

Wordy fun with Scrabble Junior

One of the games I was sent to check out for our Holiday Gift Guide was the Scrabble Junior Game.  I knew it would be a good fit for all 3 of my boys.  We have played several in the Hasbro Juniors line and the boys have always been a fan of them.

After the busyness of the gift guide season has slowed down, I sat down with the boys to play a game, as we try to spend as much time doing things together as possible this time of year.  It's a good time to make a conscious effort to stop and spend more time together than normal.

All 3 of my boys are fans of spelling, and reading, so I thought they would love Scrabble Junior.



If you are playing the version for the little ones, you make kid-sized words and look at the colorful pictures. This makes it fun to match letter tiles to words on the grid. You then get to move your  tokens up the score track as you finish word.  This is the version I played with my youngest, while he loves letters, and words, and is learning to read, he isn't ready to come up with his own words yet.
With my older 2, we flipped it over, and did the more traditional style game play, with simplified scoring.  The 2 of them loved playing, and even my hubby jumped in and played for a bit.
I like that it challenges them to think of words, and encourages abstract thinking since you have to try to think of words from letters, and also include ones from the board, and how you can fit it in. 

The squares are bigger for easy manipulation by little hands, and my youngest really loves the little token guys.


Overall this was a huge hit, and will be included in our family game day that we will be doing over the holidays.

2 comments:

  1. What a great gift idea for kids. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun game, will have to pick up a copy of these at some point! Thanks for the review. (Judy Cowan)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...